Construction professionals are actively embracing mobile technology, according to construction industry analyst Glenigan, enabling them to reach swifter decisions, increase productivity and provide greater intelligence to their clients while out and about or on-site.
Glenigan has seen almost 2,000 people download its new Glenigan Mobile app since it was launched on 25 June 2012. The app gives subscribers access to Glenigan’s extensive construction market database, enabling users to access the details of on-site projects and those which are in the development pipeline. Details including a project’s value, sector, status, and the companies and contacts involved are also accessible. Glenigan Mobile utilises the latest smart-phone GPS technology to offer users crucial information based on their actual location in the field – potentially changing the very way they work and increasing their productivity.
Stuart Chamberlain, Product Manager at Glenigan, commented:
“The construction industry is traditionally seen as very ‘muddy boots and hard hats’ but this is a misnomer: the industry has a very positive attitude towards new technology and embraces new tools when they become available, such as Building Information Modelling. Our aim with the app is to give people access to the data they require when and where they need it, whether they are surveyors, development directors, suppliers, contractors or designers.
“We’ve seen a rapid uptake in the use of the app since it was launched. Having essential market intelligence at your fingertips is essential. The app’s popularity shows how the B2B community, and the construction industry in particular, is waking up to the importance of mobile technology and how apps aren’t just a fun way to pass the time on a boring commute or to catch up on the headlines, but can really give you the edge over your competitors.”
The Glenigan app is available to download on iPhone, Android and BlackBerry and has the following key features:
- Hot List: lists new and updated projects, favourites and nearby projects; offers access to ‘My Tags’ and ‘Company Tags’ functionality.
- Search: Glenigan’s extensive project and company database can be searched by town, postcode, current location, company, sector, value or status; project search results can be displayed as a list or as a map.
- Projects: the full details of projects can be accessed, including value, materials and the lead company; projects can be tagged or added to favourites with notes added if required.
- Contacts/Companies: displays the companies and contacts working on each project; contacts can be called, emailed and added to contacts directly from the app.
A subscription is required to Glenigan’s services in order to access the app. A video demonstrating functionality can be found at https://www.glenigan.com/mobile.
Users have commented on the app’s ease of use when out and about, with the following comments received:
- “Amazing useful tool, works everywhere thanks.”
- “Very handy on the move”
- “I like the nearby function – very handy.”
The app can be downloaded from the following links: