If you’re thinking of starting a home renovation project, your first concern may be the total cost.
You don’t want to start the renovation work and stop in the middle because you no longer have the budget.
The good news is you can quickly get renovation quotes from qualified and serious contractors in your area.
The rule of thumb is to get quotes from at least three contractors. As to how to do it, there are four methods you could try:
It’s easy to connect with many renovating businesses in Canada nowadays. All you need to do is search their contact numbers on the web.
Once you get their number, you could call them for details and a free quote.
Remember to provide the following data to get an accurate price for the services:
- The work that needs to be done (do you want a home addition or a new bathroom?)
- Specifications of the area
- All the actual or substitute materials you want to use like fittings, appliances, tiles, etc.
- Whether or not you’ll hire them to clean the site as well
Based on such information, the contractor can give you a ballpark figure. This is often based on the cost of similar projects they have done in the past.
This estimate can increase or decrease based on the actual service, but this should give you an idea of what you need to pay.
Like calling professionals, you can save time by emailing them about their hourly fees and services.
The exact process applies whether you’re seeking a general or electrical contractor.
As mentioned, you need to provide them with a picture of the projects that need to be done. You also have to indicate the area space, the materials you want, and whether or not you’ll avail of their cleaning services.
Do you want to receive quotes personally from the best contractor in your area? Then the foremost thing you could do is visit their office.
Sure, the drive and the waiting will cost you a lot of time. But this is a surefire way to get a quote.
Again, make sure to describe the work to be done. That way, the contractor can give you an accurate ‘guesstimate’ of what you have to pay.
The easiest way to get quotes from a reliable contractor is to use an online calculator.
As with the previous steps, you need to provide your requirements for your home renovations.
For example, if you want your home extended, you need to indicate the following:
- The type of addition (level, lateral/side, or on stakes)
- Material quality (standard, high-end, or economic/less expensive)
- Dimensions (habitable space)
While the calculator will display the costs right away, this budget may change subject to:
- The mechanical aspects of the project (e.g., additional electrical installations or extra plumbing for the house)
- The season (e.g., renovations cost bigger during the summer)
Whether you call, email, visit the electrical contractor, or access their online calculator, their quote should cover the following things:
- The total price of the renovation process (including labour, taxes, building permit, and other extra charges)
- Cost breakdown of equipment or moving parts
- A timetable of the renovation job
- Terms and conditions of the service
- Payment terms (with/without a deposit, payment spread throughout, or payment once the contract is finished)
Once you’ve got the quotes, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should go for the cheapest contractor.
If you want to get efficient service and a great result, your first step should be to choose according to the following:
- How long the company has been in the business
- Other professional services they have handled (and if they’re similar to yours)
- The time they need to complete the construction
- The stages of their services
- Their list of suppliers
- Their permits and inspection requirements
- Liability insurance and worker’s compensation
- Need for subcontractors, if any
If you plan on hiring professionals in certain sub-trades, you need to check for the following as well:
- Certifications (as is the case with a master electrician or plumber)
- RenoMark, a Canadian Home Builders Association program that ensures they follow the Code of Conduct and provide the proper contract and warranty
- Proof of good standing with the Better Business Bureau
Indeed, it’s easy for clients to get free contractor quotes for repairs nowadays. You have the option to call, email, or visit their office. Better yet, you can get an instant quote by accessing an online calculator program.
As a reminder, make sure to get renovation quotes from at least three companies in Canada. These should help you choose the best contract for your home.