The wet room concept, which originates from the luxurious spas of Scandinavia, has become a sought-after design in modern homes worldwide. Characterized by its open, barrier-free design, a wet room is a fully waterproofed bathroom where the shower area is flush with the rest of the floor. While it offers a sleek, minimalistic appearance, the functional advantages such as easy cleaning and enhanced accessibility are equally compelling. At the heart of this design is the shower tray. Its size and placement can profoundly impact both the usability and aesthetics of the wet room.
Understanding Basic Dimensions
Shower trays come in a plethora of sizes, each designed to cater to a range of bathroom dimensions and individual preferences. From compact 800 x 800 trays for en-suite bathrooms or tight spaces, up to larger trays that add a touch of luxury to spacious bathrooms, there’s something for everyone. However, the 1600 x 900 size often emerges as a favorite among homeowners and interior designers. This dimension strikes a balance, offering ample space without overwhelming the room, making it an ideal choice for various bathroom configurations.
Assessing Your Wet Room Space
An accurate measurement of your wet room is the first step towards a harmonious design. This entails not only measuring the length and width but also considering other elements like the placement of fixtures, doors, and windows. Keeping a buffer space around the shower area ensures comfortable movement and prevents the bathroom from feeling cramped. Furthermore, while measuring, it’s crucial to account for potential wall treatments, tile thickness, and any other elements that might affect the final available space.
The Benefits of a 1600 x 900 Wet Room Shower Tray
Opting for a wet room shower tray 1600 x 900 brings along a suite of benefits:
- Spaciousness: This size ensures that users have enough room to move freely, enhancing the shower experience. It also minimizes water splashes outside the designated area, keeping the rest of the bathroom dry.
- Adaptability: Being neither too large nor too small, it fits seamlessly into medium and large bathrooms, offering design flexibility.
- Modern Aesthetics: Its proportions resonate with contemporary design philosophies, making bathrooms look stylish and up-to-date.
Material and Quality Considerations
The market is flooded with shower trays made of various materials. Acrylic trays, for instance, are lightweight and warm to the touch. Stone resin trays, on the other hand, are incredibly durable and offer a more natural feel. Ceramic trays are classic and easy to clean. Regardless of the material, it’s paramount to choose a tray that boasts non-slip properties, resistance to scratches, and a finish that lasts years without yellowing or staining.
Installation and Maintenance Tips
Ensuring a watertight installation is crucial to the longevity of your wet room. A slight gradient towards the water drainage, preventing water stagnation and potential hazards like slipping. Engaging a professional installer who is familiar with wet room specifications is highly recommended. They will ensure that the tray is perfectly level and that waterproofing is applied meticulously.
Once installed, regular maintenance can extend the life of your shower tray. Here are some pointers:
- Cleaning: Use mild detergents and avoid abrasive cleaning agents, as they can damage the drain surface. Regular cleaning prevents soap scum accumulation and potential staining.
- Inspection: Periodically check for any signs of wear or damage. Addressing minor issues early on can prevent more significant problems in the future.
- Safety: Consider adding anti-slip mats or stickers, especially if the shower surface becomes slippery over time.
The journey of designing a wet room is filled with decisions, each influencing the final look and functionality of the space. While factors like tiles, fixtures, and colors are vital, the foundation—your shower tray—sets the tone. Prioritizing its size and quality ensures a wet room that’s not only visually appealing but also serves its purpose for years to come.