Transforming your bathroom with a tile upgrade can completely change the look and functionality of the space. With endless tile options in terms of types, sizes, colors, patterns, and materials, making the right choice may seem daunting.
Carefully selecting tiles tailored to your needs and style is key, since your tiles will have a major visual and practical impact. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the key considerations when evaluating tiles for your bathroom renovation project.
Familiarize yourself with the common tile categories used in bathrooms:
- Made of clay fired at high temperatures
- Budget-friendly and available in a wide range of colors, styles, and patterns
- Prone to chipping and showing wear over time
- Made from denser, more refined clay than ceramic
- Very water-resistant and durable for high traffic areas
- Withstands moisture and heavy usage with minimal signs of damage
- Elegant, unique tiles made from various stones like marble, travertine, slate, etc.
- Each piece has one-of-a-kind veining and patterns
- Requires more maintenance like regular sealing
- Small, shining glass pieces make a modern style statement
- Resilient against moisture but prone to cracking and chipping
- Cuts easily for unique shapes; available in range of colors
- Small decorative tiles arranged in intricate patterns
- Versatile for accents, borders, or full feature walls
- Dimensional design element to add visual interest
Tile shapes (square, subway, hexagon, etc.) and sizes impact the look and feel of the bathroom. Larger tiles tend to make small bathrooms appear bigger and airier.
Choosing a color scheme and overall visual design for your tiles is exciting! Keep these tips in mind:
- Neutral colors like white and beige are versatile and relaxing, bold colors are energetic, and earth tones provide a natural look
- Match wall and floor tiles for a seamless, cohesive style or contrast wall and floor tiles to define the spaces
- Add interest with fun patterns; effective on floors or as partial wall accents
- Complementary grout colors make tiles appear larger; white grout enlarges space
- Small, busy tile patterns and sizes feel active, larger tiles create a calmer aesthetic
- Coordinate tiles with cabinets, fixtures, and hardware for a pulled-together look
Visit showrooms and use visualization apps to preview how tiles work with other finishes.
The practical use of your bathroom is just as important as the visual appeal. Evaluate:
- Durability and longevity to withstand high-traffic and wet, humid conditions
- Slip resistance for safety, especially for bathroom floors
- Porosity and water absorption rates
- Resistance to stains, mold, mildew
- Ease of maintenance for cleaning and longevity
- Floor tiles must be more durable than wall tiles to handle more weight and wear
Analyzing these functional needs will prevent issues after installing unsuitable tiles.
Tile prices span a wide range, so set a realistic budget:
- Compare costs of preferred tile types and sizes
- Use a measuring tape to accurately calculate the square footage your bathroom requires
- Factor ordering ~10% extra tiles for cuts, odd spaces, and future repairs
- Check sales, bundles, online deals for potential savings
- Avoid sacrificing quality solely to get a lower price
With precise measurements and a sample board, get quotes from suppliers to estimate the total project cost for budgeting.
Proper installation techniques are vital for creating a durable, flawless tile finish:
- DIY installation is complex; hiring a qualified professional tile setter delivers quality results
- Necessary tools and materials like tiles, mortar, grout, spacers, sealants, etc. must be gathered
- Multi-step installation process – preparing and leveling the substrate, applying mortar, laying tiles, spacing, and grouting
- Any miscalculations in tile layout or substrate preparation can ruin the final look
- Professional installation is highly recommended, especially for tricky areas around plumbing fixtures
If you want a fashionable, modern tile finish, look into these new styles and innovations:
- Explore the latest trend of oversized and elongated rectangular tiles through Solidshape, the right platform to purchase tiles online, where minimalist grout lines enhance a sleek, modern aesthetic.
- Add visual drama to your space with Moroccan, encaustic, and geometric patterns, or decorative mosaics available on Solidshape, ensuring that your design stands out with a personal touch.
- Experience the natural beauty and durability of realistic wood-look porcelain plank tiles from Solidshape, offering the charm of real wood without the intensive maintenance, perfect for a hassle-free, stylish home.
- Embrace sustainability with Solidshape’s eco-friendly tiles, made through responsible manufacturing processes and using recycled or upcycled materials, for a green and chic home environment.
New technology like anti-microbial coatings, hydrophilic surfaces, laser cutting, 3D printing, and digital printing allows for novel textures, finishes, and designs.
Staying current with the latest innovations can help future-proof your renovation against changing trends.
Once you’ve researched all factors using this guide, follow these tips to select your tiles:
- Order tile samples to view colors and patterns under realistic lighting/surroundings
- Make pros and cons lists for your top contender tiles
- Talk to design and tile professionals for personalized recommendations
- Ultimately select tiles that provide the optimal balance of style and practicality
Take time with this significant decision to ensure long-term satisfaction with your tiles.
After installing new tiles, be diligent about:
- Regular cleaning with pH-neutral cleaners, avoiding abrasive chemicals
- Re-sealing grout and porous natural stone tiles periodically as needed
- Inspecting for any cracked, damaged, or loose tiles and repairing right away to prevent worse damage
- Following all manufacturer maintenance guidelines for your specific tile type
Properly caring for tiles helps them last for decades, protecting your investment while keeping your bathroom looking fabulous.
Choosing the perfect tiles for your bathroom renovation requires carefully evaluating numerous factors like tile types, sizes, colors, patterns, function, durability, design, innovations, and budget. Thoroughly weighing all these key aspects will lead you to the ideal tile selections for realizing your dream bathroom vision. Armed with the definitive information in this guide, you can now make well-informed, confident decisions about your bathroom tile upgrades. The end result will be a stunning, inviting bathroom space you can enjoy for many years to come.