Building your own home can be one of the most rewarding and life-changing projects you can do. However, planning and preparing every step of the construction process can be an overwhelming responsibility. If you don’t plan ahead, everything may seem very complicated and physically demanding.
To make each stage of your home building project smoother and successful, check this step-by-step guide to building construction.
Find A Location
Of course, you need to choose a desirable place on which to build your dream home. But, before picking the right location, you should consider several factors such as climate, availability of amenities, ground stability, and the community infrastructure.
- First, think about the climatic conditions of the place you want to build your house. If the area frequently experiences a flood, intense heat, hurricane, and other weather conditions, then special considerations should be included in the construction process.
- Second, building a new home means thinking about the availability of the utilities in your chosen location. Be sure the utility providers for electricity, water, and other conveniences can also provide services at your site.
- Third, consider the stability of the ground on which your new house should be built. Typically, homes constructed on mucky soil and other unstable soil will more likely fail in a short period of time.
- Fourth, the community infrastructure of your home’s location is essential when you have plans to have children. For instance, check whether quality schools are available nearby. Also, know if there’s a police station near your location to protect you from criminals. And when you need medical assistance, make sure hospitals are nearby.
When it comes to building your dream house, the first step that you should consider is planning. To get started, you need to develop a building plan, analyze the finance, and choose the construction team.
Once you’ve selected the construction site, talk to your architects and engineers for the development of your building plan. It should clearly outline your owner’s construction requirements and budget. When you prepare a building plan, you’ll also have the opportunity to review some of the unique house plans from the best designers in the industry. That way, you can quickly choose the design of your home based on your preferences.
After finalizing the plan, the next thing you should do is to calculate your total construction costs. From the materials and construction costs to the labor and miscellaneous expenses, you have to prepare a project cost estimate before getting started.
When everything is in place, it’s time to get your own construction team who will handle your home building project. Make sure the builder you hire understand the terms and conditions of the contract, including the completion period, construction guides, and many more.
Get The Necessary Building Permits
It’s common knowledge that any construction project can cause accidents and injuries. Therefore, it’s crucial to get the necessary permits before you begin the home building process. Make sure you have the detailed architectural designs and other engineering specifications when you apply for the building permits. You likely need to comply with the local building codes and zoning requirements of your state.
Understand The Whole Homebuilding Process
Homeowners like you should always have a say on how your house should be constructed. Therefore, it’s best if you understand the typical steps your builders will have to take during the home building process. That way, you can keep yourself updated on every stage of the construction.
Below are the steps you need to know when building your dream home:
- Leveling of the site, putting up of woods that serve as a temporary foundation, and installation of the footings
- Installation of the floor, roof, and wall systems and application of sheathing to the exterior walls
- Completion of the installation of the pipes and wires, water supply lines, HVAC pipes, and sewer lines and vents
- Installation of insulation such as fiberglass, spray foam, and many more
- Application of exterior finishes and completion of drywall and interior textures
- Installation of exterior walkways and driveways
- Installation of countertops and hard-surface flooring
- Installation of bathroom fixtures
- Completion of exterior landscaping and installation of shower doors and mirrors
- Final walk-through of your home by the builder.
Without adequate knowledge and experience, the entire concept of constructing a new home becomes more complicated. Thus, it’s always a good idea to speak to a professional builder and know how they’re going to build your house based on your standards.
Lastly, keep the steps mentioned above in mind to make sure you completely understand the home building process.